Pre-Assessment
The students will be given
the following from Richard Nixon's Farewell to the White House Speech. Below is a checklist/self evaluation the students will complete related to the text. This evaluation introduces them to the concepts and skills they will be learning in this unit and gives the teacher a good understanding of the abilities of the students may already have coming into the unit in relation to the concepts and skills they will learn.
***
We
have been generous, and we will be more generous in the future as we
are able to. But most important, we must be strong here, strong in
our hearts, strong in our souls, strong in our belief, and strong in
our willingness to sacrifice, as you have been willing to sacrifice,
in a pecuniary way, to serve in government.
….
Now,
however, we look to the future. I had a little quote in the speech
last night from T.R. [Theodore Roosevelt]. As you know, I kind of
like to read books. I am not educated, but I do read books -- and the
T.R. quote was a pretty good one. Here is another one I found as I
was reading, my last night in the White House, and this quote is
about a young man. He was a young lawyer in New York. He had married
a beautiful girl, and they had a lovely daughter, and then suddenly
she died, and this is what he wrote. This was in his diary.
He
said, "She was beautiful in face and form and lovelier still in
spirit. As a flower she grew and as a fair young flower she died. Her
life had been always in the sunshine. There had never come to her a
single great sorrow. None ever knew her who did not love and revere
her for her bright and sunny temper and her saintly unselfishness.
Fair, pure and joyous as a maiden, loving, tender and happy as a
young wife. When she had just become a mother, when her life seemed
to be just begun and when the years seemed so bright before her, then
by a strange and terrible fate death came to her. And when my heart's
dearest died, the light went from my life forever."
That
was T.R. in his twenties. He thought the light had gone from his life
forever -- but he went on. And he not only became President but, as
an ex-President, he served his country, always in the arena,
tempestuous, strong, sometimes wrong, sometimes right, but he was a
man.
….
It
is only a beginning, always. The young must know it; the old must
know it. It must always sustain us, because the greatness comes not
when things go always good for you, but the greatness comes and you
are really tested, when you take some knocks, some disappointments,
when sadness comes, because only if you have been in the deepest
valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest
mountain.
…
Always
give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always
remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win
unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.
Richard
Nixon - August 9, 1974
Self
Assessment
|
Question/task related to the text
|
I don't know how to answer this question/complete
the task
|
I might be able to answer or perform the task, but I
wouldn't know for sure.
|
I am confident I can fully answer this
question/complete task.
|
|
In the third
paragraph Nixon quotes T.R. as writing “As
a flower she grew and as a fair young flower she died.” What
figure of speech is this?
|
|
|
|
|
Identify one other use of figurative language in the
text.
|
|
|
|
|
Explain how the figurative language affects the
speaker's message.
|
|
|
|
|
In paragraph 2 Nixon uses the word “educated.”
What are some denotative and connotative meanings of this word.
|
|
|
|
|
How do the denotative/connotative meanings of the
word “educated” affect Nixon's message?
|
|
|
|
|
Identify one word that has both denotative and
connotative meanings and give them.
|
|
|
|
|
Look at the first paragraph, what does the word
“pecuniary” mean?
|
|
|
|
|
Show your own personal way of doing a close reading
of the text as you consider each question.
|
|
|
|
I like your idea of a checklist at preassessment stage. Students can be honest with themselves and you can evaluate where they are at academically. This also stirs up background knowledge and any previous experiences they have. Students will also see their gains from the beginning of the unit to the end. Nice Job Nick!
ReplyDeleteHey Nick,
ReplyDeleteYour checklist idea for a pre-assessment is on the right track, but I think you could add more to the assessment / activity. I think along with providing space for them to check and explain where they are at, you could also provide them a separate first box to try to answer the actual question in. It would make the assessment easier to follow. That extra box would especially be helpful with that last question, which I for one wouldn't feel comfortable attempting in such a small box. I think you could also add a small or group discussion to the table as well, so you can assess where the students are at with being able to express and expand on their ideas off paper.